Custom Thumbnails for Component finder
Hey, here is an idea.
Add an option to replace the thumbnail on the component finder.
At the moment component finder takes the Sketchup default thumbnail and places it in the component finder. That works in most of the cases, but in my case, I have a library of VRScene and Proxy items that I have ready to use in Sketchup, that are exported from other places. Those thumbnails don’t look good, they are mostly mesh. We do have rendered images next to those files so we know what we are looking at when browsing the folders.
Would be awesome if we could add a custom thumbnail to the component finder.
Thanks for your time.
Thank you Vanja for this great idea. We’ll be looking into this and see what the possibilities are.
Any progress on this request?
I think this plugin could be more like Connecter for 3ds max (by Design Connected), but for Sketchup.
Thanks in advance.
We don’t have an exact time frame, but we will definitely try to incorporate this feature in one of the coming updates.
Thanks for the reference to Connector. We’ll look into it.
I think your idea would simplify the workflow BUT I just wanted to inform you that it’s already possible to achieve what you ask (we do this all the time).
You just have to do as follows:
1. Save the component as you want it to be imported by flextools (geometry, textures, etc..)
2. go to the folder where you saved the component and open the file
3. Insert inside the file whatever you want to see in the SketchUp preview (an image showing a render of the object, for example)
4. Adjust the camera in order to see what you want to see (a frontal view of the rendered image), and save the file. Now you have your desired thumbnail.
5. Go to the “Model Info” window, choose the “File” menu and uncheck “update thumbnail at save”
6. Erase all the thigs you added, and make a purge. Then re-save. Since you unselected the option to refresh the thumbnail you will still have the previous thumbnail.
I understand that, but that is a workarround. And you have to delete the thumbnail every time.
Yes you do have…